Well, they’re hitched.  It was a whirlwind, and now it’s all over.  The post-wedding let-down has set in. There was a brunch on Sunday morning where we said our final good-byes, and then we spent the rest of the day hanging out and enjoying the beach.  It was nice to have an extra day to decompress before heading back to reality.

The rehearsal on Friday was brief, and before we knew it we were off to dinner where we spent the evening catching up with family and friends who came in from out of town.

We woke on the wedding day to brilliant sunshine, a ginormous blessing considering the plans for an outdoor ceremony.  After a bridesmaids’ brunch, several of us took a 30-minute drive up to Myrtle Beach to have our hair done.  We thought we had allowed plenty of time, but after a late start, unexpected traffic, and pokey hairstylists who were overzealous with the flat iron, we found ourselves heading back to the resort with no time to spare.

The traffic was not cooperating, and in what was perhaps the most hysterical moments of the whole weekend, I found myself riding along on the grassy median strip, hazard lights flashing, passing a long line of cars as the bridesmaid driving our car instructed us to smile and wave.  “They don’t get mad if you smile and say thank you,” she informed us.

I was laughing too hard to wave as I sat in the backseat with the bride, trying not to lose a battle with incontinence.  Being a rules sorta girl, I was sure we were going to be pulled over by the police for our antics, or wind up stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire, or worse, in a showdown with Bubba and his shotgun.  Surprisingly, no one blared their horns or expressed their disgust with our behavior, and we easily managed to merge back into traffic, quite pleased with our progress along the busy highway.

We truly were running the risk of the bride being late to her own wedding, but thankfully the traffic let up and we were able to get back to the resort in the nick of time.  And I do mean the nick of time.  It was 90 minutes before the ceremony was scheduled to start, and we had a 15-minute drive to get there.

We threw on our bridesmaid dresses, dabbed on some makeup, and loaded into cars and drove to the wedding location, where we arrived exactly 30 minutes before show time.

We drove right through a herd of guests and parked in front of the reception building.  Then we piled out of our cars, carrying the bridal gown, and ushered the bride inside wearing – I kid you not – a housedress with her wedding shoes.

Despite all that, the wedding did start on time, and it was a lovely outdoor affair under live oak trees dripping with Spanish moss.  After the obligatory photo shoot, we ate and danced and partied late into the night.  My kids were troopers.  They stayed to the bitter end.

Speaking of the kids, my 5-year-old performed her flower girl duties like a pro.  I was so proud of her.  All three were as handsome as could be.  I have a slew of pictures to sort through.  I hope to post some tomorrow.

This morning we head back to Philly, and hopefully there will be no drama to report when we arrive home.

Join The Conversation

13 Responses

  1. I hope that the bride was wearing her veil while you were driving on the median! Who can refuse a bride anything on her wedding day?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close this search box.