For more wholesome recipes, see my recipe index.
One of the first things we did when we made the switch to real foods was ditch the microwave popcorn in favor of the real deal.
This is an easy switch because IT IS SO DELICIOUS. Seriously, after you taste this you will wonder how you ever tolerated the stuff that comes in that chemical-lined bag.
Microwave popcorn is all sorts of wrong.
HAVE YOU READ THE INGREDIENTS LABEL?
Please do. And then go buy yourself a stainless steel stovetop popcorn popper, kernels and coconut oil and treat yourself to some REAL POPCORN.
You really don’t even need the fancy crank. You can do this on the stovetop, although I’ve never tried it.
All you need is 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (I use NUTIVA Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil), 1 Tablespoon butter, 1/2 cup popcorn kernels (organic is best) and salt and pepper.
You melt the oils over medium heat, add the popcorn kernels, and start cranking. Or shaking, if you don’t have a crank. Or a cranker . . .
When it’s done, salt and pepper it and put it in a cute serving bowl and devour it! (That’s what we just did!)
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup organic popcorn kernels
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the oils in a stainless steel pot or stovetop popcorn popper.
- Heat to medium heat and add the popcorn kernels.
- Crank or shake gently until the popcorn starts to pop.
- Continue cranking or shaking until the popping slows down and is almost done.
- Pour into a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste, and dig in!