Hostess with the Mostest
I have had this Party in a Box sitting next to my desk for three months. THREE. I’m a PR’s nightmare, I’m telling ya. So anyway, last week I sent an SOS to a few neighbors and decided that the first ever National Moms Night Out is the perfect night to have some friends over and pretend like we’re on a remote tropical island rather than gathering on the common folks’ version of Wisteria Lane.
I don’t have much time to be online today between attending my daughter’s Mother’s Day Tea, grocery shopping, and baking, but I thought I’d post my menu so you can drool and wish you lived close enough to come.
It’s been so long since I’ve entertained that I had to thumb through a few recipe books (Barefoot Contessa, of course) and do an informal Twitter poll to get some ideas. This is what I came up with.
- Stuffed Mushrooms from my friend Linda (the recipe is similar to this one)
- Fresh Fruit Platter a la Barefoot Contessa (I saw her make one the other night on the Food Network and it looked SO fresh and YUM.)
- Assorted Cheese and Crackers
- Lemon Bars (by my BFF Ina Garten of course)
- Mystery Chocolate from my friend Shannon (I don’t know what it’s going to be, but it’s chocolate and you can’t go wrong with that.)
And I believe I have one or two other dips/appetizers coming. Even though I decided to stick with my old standbys, I was very tempted by several of the Twitter suggestions. Like this one from @RealLifeSarah — “Wrap three asparagus spears in a crescent roll with a dollop of cream cheese. Bake, eat – YUM!” And buffalo chicken dip from @mommysnacks. And doesn’t this sound tropical? “Sprinkle brown sugar on bacon slices and roll up a chunk of pineapple in it, then toothpick and bake. Aloha!” — from @Mamabug.
And now I must run. It sounds like I have some work to do!