I came across a recipe for peach pancakes online when I was looking for recipe inspiration for my cookbook. It has never occurred to me to make peach pancakes, but now I can’t believe I’ve lived 41 years without them! These are AMAZING.
You can easily make this recipe with regular all-purpose flour if you aren’t gluten-free. Peaches are in season during the late summer and early fall, but you can enjoy these peach pancakes all year round by using canned peaches. If using canned peaches, make sure to drain out all the juice before dicing.
How to Make Peach Pancakes
You make peach pancakes pretty much like a regular pancake, but you add diced peaches to the batter. Pancakes usually turn out better if you let the batter rest for a few minutes before cooking — if you have time, 20-30 minutes is great. Not that I always have time in the morning to wait for the batter to rest.
Even if you go ahead and cook them right away, make sure your griddle is hot. You can test it with a drop of water. If it sizzles, it is hot enough. I also like to use a pastry brush to grease the griddle. You don’t want too much butter, just enough so that they don’t stick. And I like to spoon the pancakes onto the griddle with an ice cream scoop — the kind with the trigger. It helps keep them uniform.
You know the pancakes are ready to flip when there are bubbles forming and they look dry around the edges.
They only need to cook a minute or two on the second side before they’re done. If you are doing more than one batch, stack the cooked pancakes to keep them warm while the next batch is cooking. I’ve also heard that with gluten-free pancakes especially, stacking them allows them to steam and helps the texture stay more like regular pancakes. I found this to be true, especially with these peach pancakes.
Here’s the recipe. If you try them, let me know how you like them, ‘kay!?
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2½ cups buttermilk
- 2½ cups gluten-free (or regular) all-purpose baking flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups diced peaches, fresh or canned
- additional peach slices for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Add buttermilk and melted butter and whisk together.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Gently fold in the peaches and let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile heat a griddle to medium-high heat or 375 degrees.
- Spoon the pancake batter onto the hot griddle, approximately ¼ cup at a time. Cook until they look dry around the edges.
- Flip and continue cooking till browned on both sides and cooked thru. Press down gently to make sure the batter cooks thoroughly.
- Stack them on a plate, garnish with peach slices and serve with butter and powdered sugar or maple syrup.
One thought on “Peach Pancakes Recipe”
Wow, I always use the spray to grease my griddle. Thanks so much for the tip about the pastry brush. Now I have to find out where it is :/ I love peaches, so these are ones I am going to try. Thanks for posting them 🙂