This post is brought to you by American Express Membership Rewards.
Every year Pantone determines a “color of the year” that will dominate the color trends in all matters of style and design, and then all the bloggers scramble to be the first to write a post about how to wear the new color of the year. It’s taken me a while to get around to writing this obligatory post, but you may have noticed our Fashion Friday button was promptly change to reflect the newest color trend.
Oh yes, we are clever, aren’t we!???
I am quite fond of Radiant Orchid. It’s universally flattering, and it can be worn with so many different things. If you’re not one to wear a lot of purple and pink, you can easily integrate the color into your accessories. I love using accessories to try out a new trend because it doesn’t have to be as much of a commitment as buying articles of clothing, although accessories can certainly put a dent in the budget.
Are you familiar with the American Express Membership Rewards program? We use ours ALL the time — mostly for travel and sometimes for one of those spendy purchases that we haven’t budgeted for. I have one AmEx card for my business (I use those Points for business-related travel) and then we have one card for our family use. We put everything that we can on our AmEx cards because they collect Points that can be redeemed for merchandise, gift cards, travel and everyday items. One year we were able to get our family’s plane tickets to Orlando with Reward sPoints.
Take a look at this gorgeous MICHAEL by Michael Kors Jet Set Leather Tote in Fuschia. It’s $248 at Nordstrom, which is a bit of a splurge for most budgets. But it is also available with Membership Rewards Points at ShopAmex.com (terms apply).
THAT is how I make my AmEx Points work for me . . . that is, when my husband doesn’t use them first on power tools or more camera equipment, ahem.
You can get all sorts of fabulous items with AmEx Membership Points through their Membership Rewards Program — everything from iPads to Keurigs to luggage to jewelry. But that’s not the only way to redeem points.
6 Ways to use AmEx Membership Rewards Points
- Gift Cards – You can buy gift cards from numerous vendors with points. Also consider using points to buy gift cards for your own shopping. It’s like having an additional $25 or $50 off at all your favorite stores, which is awesome for brand-name items that don’t go on sale.
- Mobile – With the new Mobile Gift Cards feature, “Pay with Points,” card members can log onto the American Express app on their phones (find it at MembershipRewards.com) and use points to download gift cards instantly for Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, PBteen, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, West Elm and William-Sonoma…with more retailers to come.
- Ticketmaster – If you want to use points for an experience, you can log onto your account while on Ticketmaster and opt to pay for your tickets with the points you’ve earned.
- Charity – Membership Rewards allows you to donate Points and give to hundreds of local, national and international non-profit organizations.
- Amazon – You can set your American Express card to default on Amazon.com, and when you go to log out, you can pay in full or even PARTIALLY with Points.
- Travel – Turn Points into a trip and use Pay with Points to travel using all or some Points. You can book travel with points and even use points for hotel gift cards for room nights, spa treatments, dining, and more.
If you don’t have an American Express card, it’s worth looking into. Not only do we earn Rewards Points every time we shop or fill our gas tanks, it makes it easy to track our expenses and stay on budget to put most of our purchases on one card. And AmEx has fabulous customer protection if your card is ever lost or stolen. Do I sound like an infomercial yet? We are clearly big fans!!
How to Accessorize with Radiant Orchid
Think nail polish, lipstick, handbags, shoes, boots and more! Even your iPhone case can be a nod to this year’s Pantone color of the year! It is definitely going to be my go-to nail polish color this summer.
Pixi Wakeup Wisteria Nail Colour // L’Oreal® Colour Riche Lipstick in Miss Magenta // Merona® Emma Genuine Leather Flat in Fuschia // Tory Burch Robinson iPhone 5/5S Case in Royal Fuschia // Hunter Original High Gloss Rain Boots in Dark Ruby or Violet // Cashmere Blend Eyelash Wrap in Purple Atrium // MICHAEL by Michael Kors Jet Set Leather Tote in Fuschia
I tried to include both splurge items and budget items in this collection, but these are just ideas. The sky’s the limit when it comes to finding cute accessories in various shades of radiant orchid, so poke around on your favorite websites or keep an eye out when you’re at the mall. I didn’t find a ton of things using “orchid” as a search term. Often they’re called fuchsia or magenta.
What to Wear with Radiant Orchid
Wear radiant orchid accessories with neutrals — it goes well with gray tones, as well as black and white, of course. But consider pairing radiant orchid with colors such as navy or a dark plum, if you like to wear deep, bold tones. If you prefer lighter palettes, try radiant orchid with pink or spring green or even teal. When in doubt, wear radiant orchid with denim.
What is your favorite way to accessorize with radiant orchid? Are you participating in this new color trend??
For more fashion for women over 40, sign up to receive my fashion & beauty digest in your email inbox for a weekly recap of my fashion and beauty posts!
I was selected by American Express to help educate consumers about how to use Membership Rewards points. As such I was paid for my services, but all products selected and opinions about the products and American Express are my own.