Sunday Morning Coffee Talk


Yesterday afternoon, my husband and I drove over to a nearby borough to go to the running shoe store, and then we stopped into a cozy coffee shop for lattes and people watching before we returned home. That’s where I took the picture above.

Actually, my husband took that picture. I was doing the traditional top-down shot, trying to capture the design the barista created in the foam, but it was too dark with the dark mug and the dark counter, so he took over and got this shot from his angle, taking advantage of the light from the window.

Isn’t it interesting how changing your perspective on a subject can alter the entire shot? There must be some deep life analogy there somewhere, but I’m too groggy to make the connections at the moment. It’s early, I haven’t been sleeping well lately, and I’m only two sips into my first cup of coffee.

The first week of summer has been… challenging. In fact, when I started to write that, I had to stop and think… IT REALLY HAS ONLY BEEN ONE WEEK, hasn’t it??? I swear, I feel like summer should be half over. NOT that I’m wishing for that to be so. I just can’t believe how long this week feels. Trying to work full-time while supervising 3 half-grown children and trying to make time for the pool in the afternoons is starting to wear me down.

My kids are at a very awkward age, I’ve decided. At 9, 12, and 15, they’re too old for babysitting, but they’re too young to be left alone for any length of time — at least, when they’re all three here together. Making appointments is difficult because I never now if I’ll need to be here or not, and I don’t want to take advantage of the other parents by farming my kids out too much.

This week should be better because my 9-year-old will be going to day camp, and she’s the one who needs the most supervision. She’s also the little spitfire who gets the other two riled up. Fortunately, they get on pretty well together.

Although this is also the week that my 12-year-old has sinus surgery, so I’m not sure what that’s going to hold for me. I hear that it can be a fairly difficult recovery, and I hope she doesn’t have a rough time of it. I guess she’ll be watching a lot of H2O reruns and eating a lot of ice cream.

To add to my stressors, I have jury duty next week. I’m praying that they don’t need me to come in because I don’t know what on earth we’ll do with the kids… to say nothing of my work.

In other news, I went to a new foot doctor this week to get a second opinion on my finicky feet, and it was an interesting visit. He couldn’t believe this has gone on for so long, and he seems determined to get me fixed so I’m going to stick with him and see where it leads. He ordered an MRI for my left foot, the one that’s still bothering me, and I’m supposed to call tomorrow to make an appointment. I hope it doesn’t take long to get in. I can’t wait to see what’s going on in there and hear what he thinks I should do about it.

It’s not been all bad. We were invited to experience the new Grand Lux Cafe in King of Prussia. They were doing a trial run on Friday before their big opening on June 24, and they hosted us for lunch. It was a fun way to kick of the weekend, and I HIGHLY recommend the Bourbon Smash, if you ever get the chance to eat there.

bourbon smash

Finally, I hope all the dads out there have a wonderful Father’s Day. We celebrated with my husband last night since today is busy with church this morning and a friend’s baptism party this afternoon. I grilled London Broil, and we had our favorite cupcakes for dessert. I gave each of my kids a blank card, and it was fun to see what they wrote. We gave him a gift certificate for a massage and a Fender Stratocaster t-shirt. He actually sold his, but he still has several other guitars, and he loves to jam in the basement when he has free time, which is next to never anymore, but maybe today we’ll give him a couple of hours to himself.

Enjoy your Sunday!