One of our favorite summer treats is Beet & Goat Cheese Salad. This is so nutritious with the health benefits from the beets and the pecans. For added nutrition, you can make this salad with spinach rather than mixed salad greens. Either way, it is a fresh and decadent salad, perfect for spring and summer when beets are in season.
This Beet & Goat Cheese Salad is so delicious, even my kids love it! I think one reason they love it so much is all the bright colors. Not only is the salad tasty, it looks beautiful on the table.
The salad dressing is extremely versatile. It’s just a basic lemon vinaigrette so I use it on various tossed salads all year round. The candied pecans make it fancy enough for company, but we often eat it on a weeknight with grilled chicken or steak.
Beet & Goat Cheese Salad
- 1/2 cup sugar coated pecans (see recipe in Notes section)
- 3 or 4 beets
- salad greens
- 2 to 3 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- Make your sugar coated pecans. (See Notes.) Set aside to cool.
- Cut the tops off the beets, leaving about an inch of the greens intact. Snip the root, again, leaving about an inch on the beet. Leave the skin on. (If you cut off the top and bottom of the beet and/or peel it, then the juices will seep into the cooking water and you’ll lose valuable nutrients.)
- Boil the beets in a saucepan on the stovetop for 30-45 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, wash the lettuce and set aside to dry.
- Whisk the oil, lemon, sugar and mustard together until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set that aside.
- When the beets are finished cooking, carefully remove them from the water and peel them. Allow them to cool slightly and then chop them into a medium dice.
- Wash the salad greens and place a small handful on each person’s plate. Drizzle with the dressing and then top with diced beets, crumbled goat cheese, and candied pecans.
Did you like this post?
Follow me on Instagram for my daily outfits, and like my Facebook page for updates from the blog and other articles I think you might find interesting. You can also find me on Pinterest, Periscope, and Snapchat: jolynneshane.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on what that means, see my About Page: Blog Monetization and Disclosure.