We love tacos around here, but they’re not so friendly to my waistline. As I seek to maintain a low-carb diet, I have to come up with creative ways to enjoy our favorite meals. One of those is taco lettuce wraps.
This way I can make my regular taco filling recipe, and I serve it to my family in organic corn tortilla shells while I eat it on a nice piece of Bibb Lettuce along with all of my favorite toppings. Of course, you can just throw it on a salad, and sometimes I do that, but sometimes I like to feel like I’m eating tacos too.
Bibb Lettuce (also known as Boston Bibb or Butter Lettuce) is perfect for lettuce wraps. The leaves are the perfect size for holding a generous helping of taco meat, the texture is tender and smooth, the flavor is sweet, and it has a nice crunch.
My favorite toppings are tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream. We are huge fans of sour cream in this house. In fact, we usually plow through an entire 16-ounce carton when I serve tacos for dinner.
Here’s the recipe I use for beef filling without the packet.
Beef Taco Filling
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or bacon grease (I recommend bacon, if you have it)
- 1 onion, minced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 or 2 tsps salt
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup strained tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the minced onion and sauté until soft and starting to brown.
- Add the garlic and stir around for just about 30 seconds. Careful, garlic burns quickly.
- Stir in the seasonings and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- Crumble the ground beef into the pan, mixing occasionally, for 5-10 minutes or until it’s totally cooked and there’s no pink left.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook for 10-15 minutes, until it’s nice and thick and happy.
- Taste it and adjust your seasonings.
- Serve on taco shells or lettuce leaves along with your favorite toppings such as shredded cheddar cheese, tomatoes, onions, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.