It’s a new year, and many of us want to drop a few pounds. It’s time to get back into our skinny jeans! Salad is my go-to lunch during the summer months because it’s a great way to eat well without consuming too many calories, plus you can pack a lot of nutrition into a little salad! But in the wintertime, I often avoid salads because I want something warm to eat.
Well, not anymore!
I’m teaming up with Udi’s Gluten Free Foods to bring you a hearty salad that is sure to cure your wintertime blues.
Panzanella is a traditional Italian bread and tomato salad that is hearty enough to eat as a light supper or lunch. We’ve winterized this traditional summer salad by adding roasted winter vegetables, kale, and pomegranate seeds, and used Udi’s Whole Grain Bread to keep the dish gluten-free.
The croutons in this salad give you the crunch and depth you crave in a salad, and the roasted veggies are loaded with antioxidants and nutrients to give you a little immunity boost to help combat all the nasty germs going around this time of year. Plus, delicious! And also pretty.
This dish does require about 45 minutes of prep time, but it’s easy to make and so worth it. You roast the Brussels sprouts, carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a casserole dish for about 45 minutes. You add the kale about halfway through the cooking time because it doesn’t need to cook as long as the veggies.
While the dish is baking, you pan-fry your bread cubes in butter until they’re nice and crispy and make your vinaigrette. When the veggies are done, you can throw it all together, and dinner is served!!
This is going to be my new go-to winter salad recipe. I hope you love it too! Here’s a printable recipe for your convenience.
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts (halved if large)
- 2 cups small carrots
- 2 large purple potatoes, peeled and large diced
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 bag or head of kale, chopped with thick stems cut out
- Salt & pepper
- 2 TBS butter
- 5 slices Udi’s wholegrain bread
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Balsamic Honey Dressing
- 4 TBS grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 TBS honey
- 2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a casserole dish, combine Brussels sprouts, carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic. Toss with oil, salt and pepper, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the kale with a small amount of oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Remove veggies from oven, add the kale and gently toss until combined. Continue to bake for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through.
- While the dish is baking, melt 1 TBS butter in a frying pan, cut your bread into bite-sized chunks, and cook bread pieces over med-high heat until crisp (like the exterior of a grilled cheese). Once the pan is hot, it will go quick, so be careful not to burn. Set crisp bread chunks aside.
- For the dressing, combine the olive oil, honey, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a mason jar and shake until emulsified. Taste and adjust to your preference. Optional add-ins include 1/2 tsp grainy mustard or 1 tsp minced shallots.
- When ready to serve, add the bread chunks and pomegranate seeds to the salad, drizzle with dressing, toss gently, and enjoy!
Learn more about living gluten free! Visit http://udisglutenfree.com/community
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Udi’s Gluten Free. The opinions and text are all mine.