I used to enjoy spending time in the kitchen, trying new recipes, and creating fabulous dinners. These days, my goal is to get a homemade dinner on the table in the shortest amount of time possible, and ideally, during that elusive window when all three kids are home at the same time. Who can relate?
I know this is just a season in life that will soon be a distant memory, and one day I’ll miss the busyness and have time to enjoy cooking again. But now? I need easy, yo!
I’m sure many of you are in the same boat so I asked Colleen for a delicious and EASY weeknight meal idea, and she came up with this Rice & Beans with Sausage recipe.
We’re huge fans of sausage and beans and rice, but I’ve never thought to put them all together. I made this earlier this week, and the whole family LOVED it. Best of all, it’s super easy. You just prepare your favorite rice. (Or, if you don’t want to wait, I love Colleen’s tip about picking up rice at a local Chinese restaurant. Brillz!)
Then you sauté some onions and garlic in olive oil and butter, add the beans and sausage, give it a toss, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the rice, toss again, and remove it from the heat. Finally, add some parsley or cilantro and give it a final toss. I definitely went with the cilantro…. YUM!!!
If you like, you can even kick this up a notch with a Sriracha Drizzle!
Serve this dish with a side salad or your favorite veggie, and you have a complete meal. I roasted some broccoli to go with it, and the kids gobbled it all up.
Never tried roasted broccoli? You’re missing OUT! See how to roast broccoli.
This meal has everything I’m looking for these days. It’s nutritious, delicious, and super easy to throw together on a busy school night. ENJOY!!!
Here’s a printable recipe for your convenience.
- 5 cups of cooked rice (Jasmine, brown or your favorite)
- 2 TBS olive or grapeseed oil
- 4 TBS butter
- 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 lbs Chorizo or Andouille (or your favorite sausage)
- Salt & pepper
- Parsley or cilantro
- Sriracha (optional)
- Cook your rice according to package directions. Keep covered and warm.
- In a large skillet, heat your oil and butter over medium heat.
- Sauté your onions for 5 minutes, then add in the garlic and sauté 30 seconds more.
- Add the black beans and cooked sausage, and give it all a toss. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice, and toss until evenly incorporated. Add another tablespoon or two of butter based on your preference.
- Add parsley or cilantro; toss. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle with Sriracha for some heat, if you like, and enjoy!