I discovered this Blueberry Dutch Baby Recipe on Pinterest, and knew I had to try to make a gluten-free version. (If you want the gluten-full version, you can get that over at Averie Cooks.)
I mean, any baked good with blueberries is a friend of mine. But when it’s as easy as this? We’re destined to be besties.
I actually made this blueberry dutch baby recipe two days in a row, trying out a few different kinds of gluten-free flours. Not only is it delicious, it’s pretty too. I couldn’t stop taking pictures.
The other thing I like about these, besides being delicious and easy to make it that it’s fairly light. It only has a half cup of flour, or less when you use coconut flour as I did in my second batch. This is a photo of my first attempt, using Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour blend and xanthan gum.
That one was a bit flatter and chewier, but tasty.
This is the one with coconut flour. I also made these in a slightly smaller pan.
They were the right thickness, I think, but the texture was a bit crumbly and it didn’t hold together as well when I plated it.
I think my favorite is the one with the coconut flour, but you can’t go wrong with either. Here’s a printable for your convenience!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups frozen wild blueberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour + 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum OR 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10X sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Brush a 10-inch cast iron skillet with butter.
- Place 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet and place it in the oven to melt. Watch it so it doesn’t burn. Remove from the oven once it is melted and sprinkle blueberries evenly over butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine the eggs, milk, granulated sugar, and vanilla. Then add the flour, xanthan gum (if using), cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter over the blueberries in the skillet and give it a shake to make sure the ingredients are dispersed evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the center is set. It may puff while baking (mine did this with the all-purpose flour but not with the coconut flour). I recommend using a middle rack in the oven, not the bottom rack so it doesn’t get too brown on the bottom.
- Cool for a few minutes and then dust with 10X sugar.
- Slice and serve!
4 thoughts on “Blueberry Dutch Baby Recipe #GlutenFree”
Could you make this in something other than a 10″ skillet? I don’t have one 🙁
I made it in a 12-inch the first time and it was okay. Just flat. You can probably make it in a square baking pan too.
Blueberry Dutch babies …. Love blueberries and add them to oatmeal all the time.
Please share how much regular flour ( gluten) was originally used in this recipe?
Prefer to bake with regular type flour.
Sure! It is 1/2 cup.