This breakfast sandwich is my newest obsession. I concocted it for my cookbook, and it is my new favorite breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner.
Okay, yes, this is basically just cornbread in a donut pan. There’s no need to run out and by a donut pan for this recipe, but a donut pan is fun to have!!! I have this one: the Norpro Nonstick 6-Count Donut Pan, and I highly recommend it. I actually bought 2 because most recipes make 12, not 6. The 6-count pan makes full-size donuts. The 12-count pan makes mini-donuts. I know, the title of the page is misleading.
I mean. Aren’t these the cutest ever!!????
They are delicious slathered with butter and enjoyed alone or alongside a meal.
Or they make the BEST wraps for fried egg & cheese sandwiches that I’ve ever encountered.
I am drooling on my keyboard just looking at these photos!
Want the recipe? Of course you do!
- 7/8 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour (I used gluten-free)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- Heat oven to 425. In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and soda, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter, whisking constantly. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. The batter will be a bit runny.
- Spoon into a buttered donut pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until the tops begin to turn golden-colored and donuts feel firm to the touch.
For the sandwich, you just fry an egg. (I like to break up the yolk just a bit so it’s hard and doesn’t run all over when I bite into it, but that’s just my preference).
Then you split the donut muffin in half like this.
Then lay some cheese on the bottom half. I used cheddar.
Place the fried egg on top of the cheese, put his hat back on!