I’m trying to lighten up our dinners after a few weeks of heavy eating… not to mention Halloween thrown in there for good measure! I found these photos I took back in the summer of a delicious dish I made with zucchini noodles topped with sautéed shrimp. I’m definitely adding this to my meal plan for next week. I always feel so much better when I eat light like this.
Shrimp is such a quick and easy dinner to make. I usually buy mine frozen from Costco.
Zucchini noodles are a bit more work, but they’re so much lighter than pasta, and they’re inexpensive too… especially if you grow your own. If you don’t have a nifty spiralizer (I don’t) then you can a vegetable peeler. I have a julienne peeler — much cheaper than a spiralizer, and it doesn’t take up as much space in my kitchen. It works just fine for me.
Beyond that, all you need is a few lemons, some fresh tomatoes (I used plum tomatoes for this dish, but grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes would work as well or better), garlic and olive oil.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 oz peeled and deveined shrimp
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralized
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, halved
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a sauté over medium-high heat. Add the red pepper flakes and shrimp and a sprinkle of salt and pepper; cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and half the garlic; cook for one more minute, or until the shrimp is just cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil and garlic to the pan, give it a shake so the garlic starts to cook. Then add the zucchini noodles and another sprinkle of salt and pepper; cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Return the shrimp and tomatoes to the pan; squeeze the lemon over the dish. Serve immediately.
3 thoughts on “Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles”
That looks so good! I never had zucchini noodles because I am not a big fan of zucchini. But after seeing this, I may just try it!
I don’t care for zucchini either, but this way, you can’t even taste it.
I love zuchinni. My daughter found them at Food Lion already spriled in package by lettuce. This is a fabulous post, JoLynne. Thanks for the inspiration. Good to know I can have cream in coffee and wine from time to time. You inspire me.