This peanut butter balls recipe is one of those recipes that I’ve been making for so long, I can’t even remember where I got it. Some people call them buckeyes, and there are probably other names, but we’ve always called them peanut butter balls, although I suppose we should really call them chocolate covered peanut butter balls! Because while the peanut butter filling is divine, it is the chocolate coating that makes them truly delectable.
About this time every year is when I start making peanut butter balls two batches at a time. I love to give them as holiday gifts for teachers and service workers, and I admit that quite a few go into my belly while I’m making them. They freeze well, so I can make them well in advance and then box them up whenever I need a quick gift for someone. Everybody loves them, unless, of course, they have an allergy to chocolate or peanuts, and that is tragic because no one should miss out on this deliciousness.
They’re easy to make, but it’s a bit of a laborious task to stand and roll and dip, but again… SO worth it!
All you need is peanut butter, 10X sugar, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and parafin wax. You can buy it in the canning section. You mix it in with the chocolate, and it helps it to harden quickly and not melt if the peanut butter balls get left out at room temperature for a few hours. It also helps achieve that smooth, glossy coating that is so pretty.
You also need toothpicks for dipping. If you really want to get fancy, you can place something decorative over the holes left from the toothpicks, but I’m not so much into the presentation so I don’t bother. Some people also leave a little circle of the peanut butter showing, thus making them look like “buckeyes” (the nuts that grow on trees and are related to the horse chestnut.)
I’m of the “more chocolate the better” persuasion, so I dip the entire thing in chocolate unless I’m getting to the end and running out of chocolate. You do what you can.
Anyway, without further ado, here is that recipe!
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter (do not use natural)
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 12 ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 stick parafin wax
- Place the butter, peanut butter, and 10x sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat on high until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Roll in 1-inch balls and place on wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Heat chocolate chips and parafin wax in double boiler.
- Dip each peanut butter ball in the chocolate, place on the wax paper to cool.
- Store in the fridge or freezer for up to a month.