It didn’t take me long after being transplanted to Philly to discover the wonder that is Philly Sausage & Peppers.
I know, it’s a travesty that I lived 23 years never having this.
I’ve tried several recipes lately and I’ve finally come up with one that we love. One reason I love this meal is that it is so stinkin’ easy. It whips up in less than 20 minutes. Just look at this… are you drooling yet? I can almost smell it just looking at these pictures.
Serve this on a hoagie roll* with a side of chips and a beer, and you’ve got dinner.
(No, I don’t drink beer, but my husband swears there is no finer accompaniment for Philly Sausage and Peppers. Since he’s the Philly boy, I’ll let him have the final say. I’ll stick with my Chianti, thankyouverymuch.)
*If you’re gluten-free, try this on an Udi’s Hot Dog Roll.
- 6 sweet Italian sausage links
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 sliced yellow onion
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sliced red pepper
- 1 sliced green pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Brown sausage in a stainless steel skillet over medium heat. I use a little bit of lard because that’s how I roll. Remove from skillet and slice on the diagonal and set aside.
- Melt butter in the same pan and saute the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes. Add the peppers and season with basil, oregano and salt to taste. Add the wine and cook until the veggies are tender.
- Put sausage back in the pan and cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve on your favorite rolls. Or, if you’re low-carbing it or have gluten restrictions, it’s just as good served in a bowl.