I know that the majority of you are probably not going to Blissdom, so I promise not to inundate you with Blissdom buzz for the entire month, but I’m getting a lot of questions about what to wear and what to expect and what to bring, so I thought I’d do a few posts with some advice from a Blissdom veteran.
And incidentally, most of these points could go for any other blogging conference, so if you plan to attend one of the 952 blogging conferences being held this year, you may want to read on. Or not. Up to you.
1. Smile and be friendly. This is my first and foremost piece of advice. It’s always best to assume that if someone appears stuck up, she is probably just shy. If you smile and say hi and she still gives you the cold shoulder, then perhaps your initial instincts were correct after all; don’t sue me.
2. If you see one of your blogging “idols” (come on, admit it, we all have them), by all means, go up and introduce yourself. She will love you for it.
3. Take a break. Conferences can be overwhelming. One day I went up to my room and ordered room service for lunch. Being alone for 45 minutes was exactly the pick-me-up I needed to return to the hubub downstairs.
4. Take notes. Conferences can be information overload, and you will be glad to look back over your notes at a later time and digest them a bit. Plus, it makes great post-conference blog fodder.
5. Remember your business cards. I can’t tell you how many blogging events I’ve attended and forgotten my business cards. SO annoying. You will want to exchange cards with people you meet. They don’t have to be fancy or match your blog, although that’s certainly a bonus. For a fabulous post on business card ettiquette, Stephanie at Metropolitan Mama wrote How to effectively use business cards at conferences.
6. If you have a smartphone or a laptop, by all means, bring it! I didn’t have either at the first blogging conference I ever attended, and I felt so left out as everyone sat around with their laptops open, twittering and whatnot while we chatted. At most social gatherings, pulling out your smartphone or laptop is a no-no; but at blogging events, it’s practically a requirement!
What would you add to this list?
Stay tuned for a What To Wear To Blissdom post later this week.
* * *
Unrelated – if you’re interested in trying Nature’s Peak frozen fruit, I have a review and giveaway going on at Reviewsings.