I don’t know about you, but I am incapable of eating Broccoli & Cheese Soup without loads of French bread chunks in it. Is it just me?
Hi, it’s Colleen here with one of my family’s faaaavorite soups…the one and only Broccoli Cheese Soup!
My son is sort of a soup connoisseur. When it comes to Broccoli Cheese Soup only wants mine or Panera’s, and over the years I have modeled mine after theirs since ya know… that’s what us mama bears do, keep the cubs happy!
He’s SO funny. Now that he turned 13, he gets soup almost every where we go and rates it as “not the best” to “a-mazing”. Just the other night he went out with the team after ice hockey practice and ordered the Baked Potato Soup. My husband said 2 spoonfuls in, he whispered in his ear, “This soup is terrible.” The first thing he did when he got home was to tell me the same, then he proceeded to tell me what he thought was “wrong” with it… Looks like I’m raising little foodies to be!
This time of year we are all coming and going and spinning in circles. A nice pot of soup with a chunk of bread slows us down, satisfies our tummies, and gives us what we need to keep going (and going!)
- 6 TBS melted butter
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ cups broccoli florets cut into small bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup carrot, julienne into 1-inch segments
- A couple of dashes of nutmeg
- Dash or two of Tabasco
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar
- Sauté the onion in 2 TBS melted butter for 4 minutes or until translucent; set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the remaining 4 TBS butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour and continue for about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half-and-half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli, carrots and onions. Let them simmer on medium-low for 20-25 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add nutmeg, Tabasco salt and pepper and the cheese. Let the cheese melt.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
If you love soup as much as I do, why not try one of these fantastic soups this winter?? Each one is delicious and different from the rest on the list. Make one a week or one a day for a week… Have your own personal Soupapalooza!
- Old Fashioned Chicken Noodle – Can’t beat a classic!
- White Bean and Bacon Soup – This is so popular – a must try!
- Sweet Potato & Carrot Bisque – Seriously delicious, one I crave always. And the croutons…to die for!
- Lydia’s Sausage & Kale Soup – Always hits the spot. (Just like Olive Garden’s.)
- Easy Chicken Pho – A hug in a bowl…seriously!
- Tortellini & Spinach Soup – The most flavorful soup…in the fastest time of any soup I know!
Do you have a favorite soup not listed above? If so, I would LOVE to know what it is so I can try it out! I am such a soup girl…a big ol’ pot of soup on my stove simmering away makes me very happy, so finding a new favorite would be fantastic!
Enjoy your holidays!