Mexican Lettuce Wraps
One of my goals with my Gluten Free Recipe Linky is to find new recipes for my repertoire. These Mexican Lettuce Wraps I adapted from a recipe on the blog, Whole Family Strong. She has tons of great low-carb, gluten-free recipe as they seek to eat a Paleo style diet.
I meant to make the recipe as written, but there was no cabbage at my small whole foods mart when I went shopping for the ingredients, so I modified it. Rather than rolling them up and baking them, I just used butter lettuce leaves as wraps and served it right out of the crock pot with the enchilada sauce on top. And because we aren’t Paleo and have no problem with dairy, I added sour cream because, well… EVERYTHING tastes better with sour cream! This sour cream I actually got from a local farm, so it was extra super duper tasty. They turned out great, and my family loved them.
I didn’t have leftover meat on hand, so I put a chuck roast in the crockpot for a few hours with minced garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper. Then I shredded the meat, made the enchilada sauce, and served it wrapped in lettuce leaves with sour cream. It is just that easy! (Omit sour cream for paleo-friendly.)
- 2-3 lb chuck roast
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sour cream
- Mix chili powder, cumin, minced garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Rub into chuck roast on all sides.
- Cook chuck roast in a crock pot on low for 5-6 hours.
- When it’s practically falling apart, remove from the crock pot and shred the meat; set aside.
- Combine beef broth, tomato paste, oregano, cumin sea salt and olive oil in a small saucepan; heat until warmed through. (This makes a lovely homemade enchilada sauce!)
- Wash and dry butter lettuce and carefully detach each leaf, keeping it whole.
- Serve each lettuce leaf with meat, enchilada sauce and sour cream rolled up inside.