Tried and True: Triple Threat Meatloaf
Even before I went gluten free I was trying to low-carb it, and this meatloaf recipe has become a staple in our household. I got it from the book, The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle, which I don’t necessarily recommend although some of the information is helpful. If you’re interested in reading something by Dr. Eades, I would recommend trying Protein Power instead.
At any rate, because Dr. Eades advocates a low-carb diet with a lot of fat and protein, the 6-Week Cure is chock full of recipes for meat lovers. This is one of them.
Even though it’s called Triple Threat Meatloaf due to the 3 kinds of meat (and perhaps the 3 kinds of peppers), I tend to use whatever I have on hand. This time I used a pound of ground beef and a pound of ground veal along with a half a red pepper. It’s better, though, with some green pepper too. The green has a stronger flavor than red and yellow that adds a nice zip to the dish.
You start by browning the onions and peppers and garlic in oil. I used lard because that’s how I roll.
Once the veggies are soft, set them aside to cool.
In a mixing bowl, you mix the rest of the ingredients lightly, add the veggies, and then pat into a loaf pan.
Pop it into the oven for an hour or so at 350 and you have meatloaf without the carbs.
It’s delicious, and it’s great reheated for lunch the next day.
By the way, meatloaf and rutabaga are perfect together. You can also add another mild veggie like green beans if you wanted a third color on your plate. In fact, I’d recommend that. This plate looks incomplete. But we left the table well nourished and satisfied, and that’s what counts, yes?
So in case you want the exact measurements, here you go.
- 2 T oil (I use lard)
- ½ medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ¼ green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ¼ red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp back pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ pound ground sirloin
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ pound ground lamb
- Heat lard in skillet over medium heat; add onion and saute until translucent. Add the bell peppers and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften. Add garlic for the last two minutes. Set aside and allow to cool off a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs well. Add the remaining ingredients (except meat) and mix well. Then add the meats and lightly combine using fork or fingertips.
- Bake in buttered loaf pan for 60 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.