Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Appetizer Recipe
I personally LOVE appetizers. I can make a meal off of them, and since I posted a sweet recipe on Friday, I figured I’d go with a savory one today. This Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is actually prosciutto.
These are way easier than making bacon-wrapped asparagus since they cook evenly and with less mess. Originally, I thought to give you a dipping sauce with this, but you know what…it doesn’t need it, and why add in the extra calories? Let’s save up for extra cookies!
For anyone watching their sugar, THIS will be the dish you hover around for sure! Actually it’s the dish I hover around whether I am watching something or not, and the kids…the kids are always crazy for this…once you get them to taste it, that is. So make extra!
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus can be served either straight from the oven or at room temperature. Wrap them ahead of time, plop them on a baking sheet or in a large glass baking dish, cover it and off you go! Pop them in the oven when you get where you are going, and in 15 minutes you have a wonderful & delicious app (or if it’s close by, bake them just before you leave.)
The key to this recipe is good ingredients. Look for asparagus that is not too thick and not rail thin, something in the middle. Go out of your way to get some decent prosciutto, or if you want to splurge, try prosciutto de parma. Make sure the person behind the counter wraps it in 1/2 pound packages, separated by deli sheets, trust me.
- Olive or grapeseed oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Prosciutto (tell them you are using it to wrap asparagus)
- Trim your asparagus (I usually take 20% off the bottom).
- Lay your asparagus on a baking sheet. Toss them gently with a very small amount of oil and lightly sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Begin wrapping the asparagus spears with prosciutto. Depending on the size of your slices, you may only need ½ a slice per spear.
- I like the prosciutto to go around the spear 3-4 times.
- Lay each spear seam side down. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until done to your liking. The thicker the spear, the longer it will need to bake.
- Place on a platter and serve hot or at room temperature.
Wishing you and yours a fun & delicious holiday season!