Buffalo Hummus Recipe
Buffalo wings seem to be just about the most popular food there is the U.S. And hummus…well, hummus has always been delicious, however, lately I am seeing it on appetizer menus everywhere. I’m thrilled to see it getting more and more popular and mainstream. Have you noticed how many varieties there are now at your market?
And do you know what’s better than store bought hummus? Well, homemade hummus, of course! Hi, it’s Colleen here today with a delicious Buffalo Hummus recipe that I know you will fall in love with!
I’ve been making hummus for years. When I first decided to try a “Buffalo Wing” version, I actually put chicken in it as well. I was experimenting, and my mind was saying, “buffalo chicken wings,” so that’s what I did, and it was delicious. However, over the years, I phased out the chicken. It’s not really necessary for the flavor or the texture. If you are looking for a protein boost, by all means, add some grilled chicken, but you really don’t need it.
My girlfriend Molly always puts out a container of buffalo hummus when we hang out at her house, and we lick the container clean! And do you know what?? Not once…not even once…have I found the hummus she buys at the store! I am convinced that she clears them out. She probably has a hidden mini-fridge stocked with containers of that hummus.
Hummus is one of those appetizers that I never feel guilty about dipping into…inhaling…devouring, and when it’s a buffalo wing flavored hummus, you better watch your fingers around me! This is a great appetizer choice as we roll into spring since it’s more on the healthy side than most dips.
Lucky for all of us, hummus is SO easy to make at home. Ten minutes, and BAM… you have some delicious, crowd-pleasing hummus in front of you!
I’m curious. What is your favorite hummus flavor?
- 2 cans (15 oz) chick peas, drained with 1/2 cup liquid reserved
- 2 cloves of garlic, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup liquid from chickpeas (more if necessary; see notes)
- pinch of Kosher salt
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS sesame oil
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup of your favorite wing sauce
- Optional Garnishes: blue cheese crumbles, chopped scallions and/or a drizzle of wing sauce
- In your food processor, combine the chickpeas and garlic; pulse until pureed.
- Add 3 TBS liquid from the chickpeas, Kosher salt, and lemon juice; pulse.
- Add the olive oil, sesame oil and 1/4 cup of the wing sauce; pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust to your liking. Add more wing sauce for more wing flavor & heat. If you want it really spicy, add a few shakes of red pepper.
- Garnish with blue cheese crumbles, scallion pieces, and/or a drizzle of wing sauce.
- Serve with warmed or grilled flatbread pieces, pita chips, crackers or vegetables of your choosing.