Chicken Caesar Salad with Grilled Romaine
I’ve had grilled romaine a couple of times when dining out, but it never occurred to me to try it at home until I saw Kristy’s post last week. She made it look so yummy and sound so easy that I decided I’d try it. My kids live for Caesar salad, so I figured it was sure to be a hit. And since I’m always looking for low-carb recipes to keep my waistline in check, this seemed like just the ticket.
I took her advice and bought grilled-and-ready chicken strips (I got mine at Trader Joe’s) and I even used a bottled salad dressing to make the whole thing super easy. (I know, how the mighty have fallen . . . I still make my own most of the time, but I had some Caesar dressing sitting in my fridge from a weak moment a while back and figured I might as well put it to use!)
Then all you do is slice the romaine down the middle.
Then marinate it for a few minutes in a mixture of olive oil, minced garlic and sea salt. When all the other toppings have been prepared (this comes together fast so you want to have everything ready), throw it on the grill for just a minute or two per side.
Then top it with the salad dressing of your choice (I used Caesar) and grilled chicken, tomatoes and shredded cheese (I used Parmesan). Feel free to add bacon bits and croutons if you have them. Next time I’ll be sure to make some bacon to go on top. That would have really made it perfection!
The kids loved it and begged for more. This is definitely going to become a summertime dinner staple!
- 3 heads Romaine lettuce
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- grilled chicken breast strips
- 2 tomatos, sliced
- shredded Parmesan cheese
- Caesar salad dressing
- Heat your grill to medium and prepare your toppings because this comes together fast!
- Slice each head of Romaine lengthwise.
- Place the olive oil, sea salt and garlic in a gallon-sized Ziplock bag, shake it up. Then add the Romaine, seal, and mix it around till it’s thoroughly coated.
- Place the Romaine on the grill, cut sides down, for about a minute.
- Flip it and grill for 1-2 more minutes; remove to dinner plates.
- Top with salad dressing, grilled chicken, tomato slices and cheese. Feel free to add other toppings such as bacon bits and croutons. Serve warm or at room temp.