Crockpot Chicken Curry
I got this recipe from Liz at The Lemon Bowl. I’ve never been big on curry and Indian style foods, but for some reason this sounded like the perfect weeknight meal. We’ve had it twice, and my husband and I love it. We would eat it once a week. The kids are mixed. My son can’t take it at all. My middle child tolerates it, and my youngest loves it and asks to take the leftovers to school in a thermos for lunch.
It’s rare to find a recipe our entire family enjoys, so I still make meals that only some of us like, even if not everyone gobbles it up. I boiled some extra peas (which they all three love, go figure!!) and they were welcome to have rice and peas if they didn’t want the chicken dish. That’s okay . . . MORE FOR ME!
This recipe is so easy I didn’t even take photos of the process. I did increase the quantities a bit to serve our family of five, but otherwise I followed Liz’s recipe to a T.
You just whisk together a coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and a dash of cayenne pepper. Pour that into a crockpot and add boneless chicken breasts, a sliced onion, a can of chickpeas and a couple of diced sweet potatoes. Then you cover it, turn the crockpot on low and forgetaboutit!
After about 8 hours, you add a cup of frozen peas and a couple tablespoons of lemon juice. Serve over rice with a sprinkle of cilantro.
- 1.5 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash of cayenne powder
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Whisk together coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and cayenne and pour into your crockpot.
- Add chicken breasts (I cut mine in half), onion, chickpeas and sweet potatoes and stir until everything is coated.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- About 45 minutes before dinnertime, steam a couple of cups of brown rice.
- Right before you're ready to serve dinner, take two forks and shred the chicken in the crockpot. Be careful to leave the chickpeas and sweet potatoes in tact.
- Then add the peas and lemon juice and stir gently.
- Serve the chicken mixture over rice and garnish with cilantro.