Chicken Enchiladas #glutenfree
If you are NOT gluten free, you can use this recipe with regular flour tortillas. It’s just as good!
Since going gluten free I have missed enchiladas terribly. They were once one of my favorite easy go-to meals. I posted my favorite enchilada recipe long ago, before I started my gluten-free journey, and it still gets some good google traffic.
It’s been years since I’ve been able to indulge. I tried corn tortillas once, and they just weren’t the same so I’ve gone without. Until now.
Udi’s Gluten Free Foods just introduced a brand new gluten-free product to their stellar line-up — “flour tortilla” wraps!
They sent me two packages to review, and I wasted no time making my favorite enchiladas!
There are two sizes, small and large, and they retail for $4.35 (small) and $5.20 (large) per package. Like most gluten-free convenience foods, they aren’t cheap, but if you’ve got a hankering, you can overlook that! (And they are actually priced quite competitively compared to other GF foods.)
I was curious how they would hold up to stuffing and rolling, and of course I was dying to know if they’d taste like the real thing.
I used both sizes in my recipe, and I discovered that the small ones broke when I tried to fold them over the filling.
Whereas the larger ones did make a fairly respectable roll, although some still split.
Fortunately it didn’t make much difference. Both pans turned out to be delicious, and when they were covered with cheese, you couldn’t see that they were split.
They still came out of the pan and onto the plate just fine.
The true test came when we all sat down to dinner. The kids mentioned that we hadn’t had this recipe in a while. My husband dug right in and said he’d missed this meal, why hadn’t I made it in so long?
Halfway through our meal, I confessed that I was using Udi’s tortillas, that they were a brand new product.
To which my husband exclaimed, “Ohhhhh, THAT is why you haven’t made them in so long! I’d never have known they were gluten-free.”
And that, my friends, is a true story! If you’re eating gluten-free and you’ve missed enchiladas, quesadillas and burritos . . . you won’t have to miss them any longer!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 12-oz jar salsa
- 2 packages Udi’s flour tortillas, either size
- 8 oz Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- Chop or shred the chicken.
- Toss it in a bowl and pour salsa over it, give it a stir.
- Pour some cream into a pie plate and tip a tortilla in the cream on both sides.
- Place a spoonful of the chicken/salsa mixture down the middle.
- Roll it up and put it in a greased 13×9 pan. Do the same with the other tortillas. I usually make 8-10.
- Spread shredded cheese on top of the enchiladas and drizzle with leftover cream.
- Bake at 350 degrees — 15 min covered and 10-15 min uncovered, until they are browned on top and bubbling around the edges.