Potato salad with bacon . . . how can you go wrong!?!
Hi, it’s Colleen here today with one of my favorite recipes — Potato Salad with Bacon & Egg! I wanted to call it “The Best Darn Potato Salad in the World” BUT I guess that would be a little over-the-top!
Almost nothing is more American than a big bowl of potato salad, and I’m sure that many-a-family keep their secret close when it comes to their potato salad recipe. Some people take making and presenting it very seriously, and I totally get that!! I wouldn’t mind traveling around and sampling forkfuls of potato salad from every state in the US. How fun, interesting and deliciously different would they be, plus the stories behind them I’ll bet would be fabulous!! Attention Food Network!!
Part mashed so it’s creamy and delicious and part substance… to me that perfect balance. Forkful after forkful, that is what separates a good potato salad from a great potato salad! Plus, you can’t go wrong with bacon and hard boiled eggs. Enjoy!!
- 2 1/2 pounds of potatoes (about 5 big potatoes)
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Grey Poupon Country Dijon Mustard (or other grainy Dijon)
- 6 strips bacon, cooked till crisp then cut or crumbled into small pieces
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of the bacon grease
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- 3 large hard boiled eggs cut into 6 chunks
- Kosher salt & Pepper (be generous)
- A couple of shakes of Red (Cayenne) pepper
- Scrub your potatoes, leave the skin on and slice into bite sized pieces. Try to make them different shapes and sizes – vary from 1” to 1 1/2″ chunks.
- Fill a large pot with water, add 1 teaspoon salt and cook potatoes over medium heat until a fork easily slides through them (almost a mashed potato consistency) about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook your bacon and reserve 1-1/2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- As soon as the potatoes are done, gently pour all of the hot water out of the pot, rinse the potatoes with cold water, then strain them into a colander and rinse some more.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise and mustard and whisk until combined.
- Add the potatoes and gently toss till coated.
- Add the bacon grease, crumbled bacon, scallions, eggs, salt, pepper and Cayenne and toss until fully combined. Taste and adjust.
- By now your potato salad should be part creamy and part formed. If it is not creamy enough, gently use the back of a fork and mash up 15% of the salad, toss again.