Fashion Friday: Black is Back
At least it is according to an email I got from Banana Republic a few weeks back.
To which I say… It’s about time. I love me some black. I always have. I think black is universally flattering, and it lends sophistication to an ordinary outfit. Truth be told, I tend to overdo it with the black.
What can I say? Black is my signature color. (Quick, which movie did I massacre that quote from?)
The one thing I will NOT say is that black is slimming. It IS, of course, but ONLY if it fits correctly and the cut of the garment is flattering to the body wearing it. Of course, that is true of any color. I definitely feel safer wearing black, but then again, that’s a good reason NOT to wear it sometimes. It all depends on what you’re going for, I suppose.
Here are a few black essentials every closet should own this season:
1. A great black jacket. I generally don’t wear blazers, but I could get excited about this All Around Jacket from Francescas. I love the distressed detailing and how they pair it with a satiny top and a great pair of casual jeans. That’s a fresh, modern way to wear a blazer.
2. Black skinny jeans. Hey, don’t shoot the messenger. I know a lot of you aren’t big fans of the skinny jean trend, but it’s here for a while, and I admit my eyes have adjusted. I love the look of this Banana Republic Black skinny jean.
While I appreciate how flattering a moderate boot cut jean is on most women, the skinny jean looks more modern to me now. Of course you can find all styles in the stores — from wide leg to boot cut to skinny — and ultimately you should wear what you feel best in.
3. Black Pencil Skirt. This is another trend I am SO happy to see returning! I love, love, LOVE pencil skirts. I’ve had a hard time finding skirts for the past few years because the styles have been so NOT pencilish. You can’t go wrong with a black pencil skirt. I particularly like this Brushed Tweed Pencil Skirt from Ann Taylor.
I have a similar one and I wear it all winter long with different tops. It looks great with a crisp white blouse or with a sweater of just about ANY color under the rainbow. The texture of the tweed adds a bit of interest to the outfit, and it’s just classy.
4. Black Pumps. These probably aren’t absolutely essential for everyone, but I find mine to be indispensable. I have a stunning pair of black suede pumps that I’m about to break out for the season. I got them on an end-of-season sale a few years back, and they. are. GORGEOUS. They are similar to these:
I wear them to dress up boot cut jeans for date night. I wear them to church with my tweed pencil skirt (see #3) and with most of my fall/winter dresses. I’m a fan of the rounded toe and a chunkier heel, but you can also go with a dramatic pointed toe pump for a real wow factor, such as the Barbe basic pointed toe pump from Nine West.
5. Little Black Dress. A list of essential black wardrobe pieces would be incomplete without a LBD — in any season. A LBD is the easiest thing to throw on and dress up or down depending on the occasion. How cute is this Eight Sixty Wrap Dress from Piperlime?? (Assuming it’s a couple inches longer on us mere mortals.)
You can’t go wrong with the flattering cut of this Nectar Dress from Athleta.
Then there’s my personal favorite, a black sheath.
6. Black Boots. I left this one for last because, while boots are definitely a HUGE fashion trend this fall, it’s not necessary to have black ones. If you wear a lot of black, then that may be a good color to have. But I also think a gray boot is a fabulous idea. It’s almost as versatile as black, but it’s a bit more now. I also love cognac for boots. Cognac is great because it can go with black as well as brown and almost any color. Of course, it’s fun to have all three, but if you must choose, base your decision on your current wardrobe and what will go best with the most things.
How about you? Are you glad black is back? What is the one essential black wardrobe piece that you couldn’t live without?
Check this out: 1 DAY ONLY: Get 25% off or 30% off at Banana Republic when you use your Banana Republic, Gap or Old Navy credit card. Offer ends 9/24.
Disclosure: there are some affiliate links in this post.
For more Fashion Friday posts, check these out (or add yours):