For New Years Eve we decided to stay in with our little ones, but I wanted to make it special so I decided to make it a Fondue Night with these three fabulous fondue recipes.
It’s been years since I’ve done fondue, and I was only able to find one dust-covered fondue set shoved behind boxes of books and outgrown toys in our basement storage area. Our plan was to have cheese fondue, then a meat fondue, and then wrap up the evening with chocolate fondue.
One fondue pot was clearly not going to suffice, so I made a trip to Crate & Barrel. I could seriously live in that store. In addition to a Christmas tree skirt and ornaments for 75% off (SCORE!) I found this adorable cast iron fondue pot and his little brother, the dessert fondue pot, so that night, we had a Family Fondue Fiesta! (You can also find fondue pots on Amazon, if you need quick ship. This one is similar to the one I have.)
Here are the fondue recipes I used.
- 1 garlic clove, sliced in half
- 1-1/4 cup dry white wine
- 10 oz Guyere cheese, shredded
- 10 oz Emmanthal cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Kirsch (this is a liquor)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 loaves Italian bread, cubed
- Rub inside of saucepan with garlic. Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile combine Kirsch and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the cheeses to the wine and lower the heat a bit, stirring constantly in a figure eight pattern. When they are melted, (they will not be combined) stir cornstarch again and slowly add it to the pot while stirring. Cheeses will bind to the starch, and then it will be creamy and smooth. If it’s too thick, add a little more wine.
- Transfer to fondue pot to keep warm. Serve with bread cubes.
Meat Fondue Recipe
- raw shrimp
- raw beef cubes
- raw chicken cubes
- 2 cups Canola oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil and salt and pepper to boiling in large fondue pot. Dip meat in oil and cook till done.
Chocolate Fondue Recipe
- 10 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lots of dipping options, strawberries, bananas, small rice krispie squares, vanilla cookies, etc.
- Stir first 3 ingredients together in a saucepan over low heat until chocolate melts. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to fondue pot to keep warm. Serve with fresh fruit, pound cake, marshmallows, and Oreos.