Ever since I got back from our Maine vacation, I’ve been trying to get back onto the paleo/primal/real food bandwagon. It’s been one step forward, two steps back. I feel like I’m always on the go between PT appointments, my son’s band practices, and all the errands associated with back-to-school season, and I haven’t carved out the time to make the healthy meals that I need to stay on track.
Oh, and did I mention that there’s a Chick-Fil-A right NEXT DOOR to my PT’s office?? I might be able to ignore the temptation, but my kids LOVE it when I bring lunch home from Chick-Fil-A, and who am I go to through the Chick-Fil-A drive-through without picking up a kid’s meal for myself?? At least it’s only a kid’s meal, right???
This week, I feel like I’m finally getting my mojo back. I’ve had a few good days, and I’m feeling good, so I want to keep it going. I get really tired of eating eggs for breakfast, though. I need some other options.
These paleo-friendly muffins are a little bit labor intensive because you have to peel and dice the apples, sauté them in butter and cinnamon, and let them cool before mixing them into the batter. Then they take 40 minutes to cook. But if I can be patient, they are a GREAT alternative to my usual omelette or fried eggs.
I found this recipe in my Practical Paleo cookbook. If you’re expecting a muffin, you may be disappointed. These don’t have the texture of a traditional muffin because they’re mostly made of egg. But they have just enough sweetness to satisfy that desire in the morning, and the texture reminds me of custard or bread pudding, which I enjoy. I’m planning to pick up some green apples today so I can make a batch tomorrow morning, and I can’t wait.
This is altered slightly from the one in Practical Paleo. I added some maple syrup and vanilla extract to sweeten them up a bit.
Sorry this recipe is not in a printable format. If you’re on a PC, just highlight the text below, right click and select PRINT, and you should be able to print the selected text without the rest of this page.
Paleo-Friendly Cinnamon Apple Muffins
- 2 cups peeled and diced green apples
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 9 eggs
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon real vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium skillet, sauté the apples, water, 1½ teaspoons of the cinnamon, and butter over low-medium heat until the apples are the consistency of apple pie filling. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, butter, coconut milk, coconut flour, remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and maple syrup until well combined. Add the cooled apples, reserving ¼ cup for garnish.
- Spoon the muffin mixture by ¼ cupfuls into greased or lined muffin tins.
- Gently spoon about one teaspoon of the remaining apple mixture onto the top of each muffin, and bake for 40 minutes.