Paleo-Friendly Sausage Skillet (Pasta Optional)
Last night I experimented with a new recipe that I can’t wait to share with you. We received a package of hot Italian sausage from our CSA, and it’s been sitting in my fridge waiting for me to come up with something to cook with it. I’m trying to eat low carb, so I went online and searched for paleo-friendly sausage recipes. I found several that I printed out for future use, but I decided to make one that combined sausage, bell peppers, onions and mushrooms. It was a skillet meal that looked like it would come together quickly, and I happened to have all the ingredients on hand.
I knew that the rest of my family would want something else with it, so I made a pot of spiral pasta for them, but I just ate it plain with a side salad, and it was delicious. I also added spinach for some green. Take a look!
I really need to add more quick and easy recipes like this to my repertoire. I will definitely be making this Paleo-Friendly Sausage Skillet again.
Here’s the recipe.
- 1.5 lbs spicy Italian sausage
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thin
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz pasta (optional)
- If you're serving the dish over pasta, heat water in a large pot and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes until fragrant.
- Add the sausage and sauté until it is browned and almost cooked through.
- Add the peppers and mushrooms, and sauté for another few minutes until they are just starting to soften. Add the spinach, salt and pepper lightly, and cover for 2 minutes or until wilted.
- Drain the pasta and serve the sausage mixture over top. Or serve it alone with a side salad for a low-carb meal.