Scrambled Eggs with Grated Zucchini #Paleo
Need a quick, healthy breakfast for a busy morning? I whipped up these Scrambled Eggs with Grated Zucchini yesterday morning, and they were fantastic.
I had leftover zucchini in the fridge from dinner the night before. It was already shredded. BONUS!! I also had some crumbled, cooked bacon in the fridge from a previous night’s dinner. Having lots of leftovers sitting around is key for sticking to a real food/primal/paleo diet.
So I drizzled some olive oil in a hot pan, sautéed the shredded zucchini for a few minutes until it was just beginning to brown, then I added a clove of minced garlic and the bacon. I stirred that around for about 30 seconds before adding 4 whisked eggs to the pan. My husband whisked the eggs while I sautéed the veggies, and we had the whole dish thrown together in less than 5 minutes. I just stirred the mixture around in the pan until it was cooked through, and I also added some shredded raw cheddar and garnished with chopped scallions. But the cheddar is totally optional, of course. I also salted and peppered it when I put the eggs in the pan.
This is definitely going to be a regular in our breakfast rotation!
Here’s a printable.
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup cooked, chopped bacon
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions (optional, for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet or sauté pan. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring often, until it starts to brown, about three minutes. Add the garlic and bacon and continue to cook, stirring, for another minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl and add to the pan with the zucchini; cook, stirring every few seconds until the eggs are scrambled.
- Sprinkle cheddar (if using) and stir it in. Remove from the heat and serve with cherry tomatoes. Garnish with chopped scallions or fresh herbs, if desired.