Zucchini Pasta with Bacon Cream Sauce
Zucchini pasta is quickly becoming a family favorite, and you can’t go wrong by adding bacon and heavy cream! My kids gobble this up like candy. SERIOUSLY. It’s amazing. They actually prefer the zucchini pasta to regular pasta. I know this because the first time I made it, I was afraid they wouldn’t eat it over zucchini so I made both. They actually preferred the zucchini so now I just make it this way.
Yes, I know. My kids are weird. I’ve been told.
It’s quite easy to make. I have made a few alterations to the original recipe to suit our family’s tastes — namely, MORE BACON.
It’s perfect by itself for a light dinner or as a side dish for a heartier meal.
- 4 slices bacon, large diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 or 4 zucchini
- 4 Tbsp butter, divided
- salt to taste
- First, shred the zucchini into a large colander.
- Sprinkle with salt and allow it to sit in the sink and drain while you prepare the cream sauce.
- In a saute pan, brown the bacon over medium heat, then remove from the pan to a paper towel to cool.
- Place the red onion into the bacon grease, add a couple tablespoons of butter and saute over med-low heat till onions are tender and beginning to brown.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Pour in the heavy cream, return the bacon to the pan, and stir until combined.
- Taste and add salt if necessary.
- In a separate saute pan or stock pot, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Rinse the zucchini, drain, and then add it to the butter in the pot.
- Cook the zucchini, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until it is cooked through and soft.
- Plate the zucchini and top it with the mushroom sauce.
For more recipes, see my recipe index.