Hi, it’s Colleen, Jo-Lynne’s recipe contributor, back today with what I hope is a New Years Resolution for 2015 that will stick with me this time and maybe inspire a healthier you!
Last year my only resolution going into 2014 was to drink more water. Simple enough…right?
I almost never drink enough water, even knowing how good it is for me. What about you? Is it hard to get enough water down the hatch each day? I get so bored with the taste. Unless I am hot and sweaty or had a few too many cocktails the night before, it’s not happening, so I decided to make all sorts of variations of fruit-flavored water recipes to help me along.
I made about 10 different flavors, rotating them every other day or so until I found a some favorites. (My kids have their favorites too). They were delicious and easy to prepare in batches. Sadly, however, somewhere around March I forgot all about it and went back to my iced tea and occasional black cherry soda ways.
Well, its a new year and I have a few new goals…and water, my friends, is back on the table for me. Flavored waters, especially when made with organic fruits, are so good for you! You do want organic for these since the whole fruit, skin and all, is often floating in what you are about to guzzle.
Here are 2 delicious combinations of fruit flavored water recipes for you to try. If you like them and want more ideas for flavored water combinations, I have a few flavors posted on my site, Souffle Bombay, if you want to check them out.
The Lemon, Lime & Raspberry Water is so refreshing. My daughter calls it her everything water!
Here’s the recipe in a handy printable for your convenience.
- 1/2 gallon of water
- 1 organic lime
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 pint of organic raspberries
- Fill a pitcher with water.
- Slice your lime and lemon. Squeeze 2-3 lemon slices into your water and discard. Squeeze 1-2 lime slices into your water and discard. Add the remaining slices to your pitcher.
- Add in your raspberries and chill. Serve over ice, and enjoy!
The Blueberry & Lemon Water is really different! Isn’t the color gorgeous??
You may think it won’t taste like water due to the rich color, but it does. I added a little bit of sugar to counteract the bitterness of the berries. It’s your call if you want to do that or not. It really comes down to the season and the berries. If you are watching your weight and cutting back on wine and cocktails for a while, this is a great drink to enjoy. You won’t miss the cocktails…umm, not too much, anyway!
This is how you make it.
- 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries
- 1 quart plus 1 cup water
- 2 TBS sugar
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Place the blueberries and water in a small pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and add sugar. Stir and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, mash the berries and allow the mixture to cool.
- When completely cool, strain the water mixture into a large mason jar or small pitcher and chill until ready to drink.
Let’s raise a glass, shall we? To a happy and healthy 2015, one filled with fulfillment, peace and just a wee bit of luck for us all! Cheers!