Today I have a delicious recipe for Sweet & Spicy Baked Beans with chunks of ham and a spicy jalapeno mustard that takes this traditional BBQ dish to the next level.
Spring is in full swing, and it’s time to get grilling! Today I’m celebrating National Grilling Month with El Diablo mustards and several fabulous food bloggers from across the country. Each of us received a box of El Diablo Mustards to try out and inspire a recipe that you might enjoy at a backyard BBQ, and I have a delicious recipe for Sweet & Spicy Baked Beans for you today.
The two things that make these beans extra special are the addition of ham and El Diablo Jalapeno Mustard! The mustard gives the beans a little kick without actually chopping up a jalapeno, and the ham chunks take it to another level! It’s an easy BBQ side dish that will have your family and friends asking you for the recipe.
Here’s the Baked Beans recipe in an easy printable format. ENJOY!
- 1 TBS grapeseed or olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- 3/4 cup diced ham steak
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 TBS El Diablo Jalapeno Mustard
- 1/2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 TBS chili powder
- 3 – 15oz cans baked beans (drain 1 of the cans of sauce, keep the sauce from the other 2)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a heavy pot or dutch oven over medium heat, saute the onions in the oil until soft about 7-8 minutes.
- Add in the ham and garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in the syrup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and pork and beans (drain the sauce from one of the cans add in the other two cans as is). Bring beans to a slow simmer, lower heat and continue to cook for another 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Taste, season and adjust to your liking. If you want it spicier, add in a few dashes of Cayenne pepper.
- You can choose to serve this immediately or cool the beans, cover them and when ready to use them, reheat in a 375 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes.
Have fun checking out all the recipes from my foodie friends!
- Colleen/Souffle Bombay – Bacon Wrapped BBQ Shrimp with a Chipotle Mustard Glaze
- Kita/Girl Carnivore – Spicy Mustard Brats with Sauerkraut
- Heather/Sugar Dish Me – Hot Honey Mustard Wings
- Lauryn/The Vintage Mom – Spicy Mustard Mayo Chicken Kabobs
- Kellie/The Suburban Soapbox – Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwich with Spicy Steakhouse Aioli
ENJOY! And happy grilling!