I’ve got a bonus recipe for you this morning! Actually, someone wrote in to my Facebook page and asked where this 7-Layer Mexican Dip recipe had gone. Evidently I posted it many moons ago, back before bloggers actually photographed their recipes. (Can you imagine!???) I guess I deleted it at some point.
I actually used to make this 7 Layer Dip ALL the time when we had get-togethers during our younger years. Somehow it got out of rotation. Never one to disappoint my audience, I whipped up a batch last weekend. After I took my pictures, I served it to my family while we played board games, and everyone devoured it.
I personally prefer one of my hot dips, like this Jalapeño Popper Dip or the iconic Buffalo Chicken, but this was nice for a change. Everyone else thought I was nuts for suggesting that I didn’t care for it QUITE as much as some of the others.
Of course, there are as many variations of 7-layer party dips as there are shoes on the floor of my closet (ha!) but this is the one I’ve always made, and it’s always a hit.
This makes an awesome dip for Game Day parties or really any get-together where food will be sitting out for a while. Since it’s best eaten at room temperature, you don’t have to worry about it getting cold or going bad.
Here’s the recipe in a handy printable for your convenience. ENJOY!
7-Layer Mexican Dip Recipe
Recipe Type: Appetizer
This 7-Layer Mexican Dip Recipe makes a great Game Day Recipe or the perfect dish to bring to your next potluck!
- 8 oz sour cream
- 16 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1-1/2 cup salsa (divided)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar-jack cheese
- 1/2 cup canned black beans (rinsed and drained)
- sliced black olives
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- tortilla chips
- Mix together the sour cream, cream cheese, 1/2 cup salsa, cumin and chili powder. Spread in the bottom of a pie plate or square serving dish.
- Spread remaining 1 cup salsa evenly over the cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese, then with the black beans, scallions, olives and jalapeños.
- Serve with tortilla chips at room temperature.