Hi, it’s Colleen, and today I have a sweet treat for you!
I don’t know what it is, but the combination of chocolate and peanut butter gets so many of us excited…am I right? I mean, chocolate on its own is wonderful! Peanut butter on its own is delicious too – but put those two together and something irresistibly magical happens!
For this recipe, I am going to give you 2 different options, the one you choose is the once that speaks to you most…think about, just how much do you love chocolate…just how much time do you have to make it…just how much effort to you want to put into it? The real recipe here is the peanut butter filling, I say you take that and then decide how you wish to highlight it with its chocolate counterpart.
I am showing you a super easy recipe for Chocolate and Peanut Butter Shooters. I adore small bites for dessert. Since I love food, I would rather fill up on the meal, so a small taste of something sweet at some point after my meal is all I need (or at least that is what I tell myself). However, you could totally make this as a tart, pie or whatever else you might have in mind. I recently came up with some crazy-fun Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cannoli and thought to myself as I was munching on one that the filling came out so good, it could totally stand on its own, so I experimented with what else I could do with it, and that’s where these Chocolate & Peanut Butter Shooters come in.
You can whip up the filling in 5 minutes or less. To choose the easier no-cook method, all you need are chocolate cookies or Oreos to make the bottom layer and topping. It is delicious! The subtle crunch from the cookies pairs nicely with the smoothness of the PB filling.
If you want to take it up a notch and you adore chocolate, you can make a ganache for the the bottom layer, close your eyes and revel in its rich-deliciousness. I would have had a photo of that creation, however, four 12-year-old boys misunderstood what I was offering them as a treat (while I was photographing in the other room) and when I went to grab them to photograph, they were scraped clean….as in they almost didn’t need to be washed clean, lol!
- [b]For the Peanut Butter Filling:[/b]
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 TBS heavy cream
- [b]For the Cookie Layer:[/b]
- 12-16 chocolate cookies (Oreo’s, Famous wafers, homemade – amount depends on size/type of cookie you choose)
- 2 TBS melted butter
- [b]For the Chocolate Ganache:[/b]
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz milk or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon (15 ml) light corn syrup
- In your mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and heavy cream and whip for 2 minutes or until smooth. Set aside.
- Option A – Cookie Layer If you choose this method, pulse your cookies in your food processor until fine crumbs, drizzle in butter and pulse until combined. Scrape out and fill the bottom of your shooter cups/glasses with the crumbs – reserving a small amount for the topping. Pipe in your peanut butter filling, top with a small amount of cookie crumbs and serve. This can be made 1 day ahead, cover store in your refrigerator and allow to return to room temperature before serving.
- Option B – In a small saucepan, combine cream, chocolate and corn syrup over medium heat, and stir until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Pour some into your chosen shooter cups/glasses and allow it to set for an hour. Pipe in your Peanut Butter Filling, top with a few chocolate curls and serve. This can be made 1 day ahead, cover and store in your refrigerator and allow to return to room temperature before serving.
I wonder if the reason why my house seems to be the house all the kids hang at has something to do with how much I cook…seriously, you would never believe how much my children’s friends can “put away” when they are here. Some of them come to the kitchen first when they come over and do reconnaissance just to see what is made or being made, lol! Last night four boys were hanging out till about 10 pm, and at 7:30 I could tell they were hungry so I paused the movie I was watching and whipped up some Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs real quick. Oh-my-gosh, did they have a ball scarfing them down. They laughed and laughed as bite after bite of the cheese was oozing out in long strings…they wanted a ruler to measure who could make the longest one. So cute!! Honestly I adore that, and when I have visions of my kids growing up…I always see them and their buddies/girlfriends in our kitchen and me feeding them. And that makes me happy!
I hope these fun and easy shooters make you or someone you love happy as well!