Potato, Ham & Spinach Frittata
This spinach frittata recipe is quick and easy to throw together, and it’s nutritious too! The potatoes help fill you up, and the ham adds great flavor.
The other night I was looking for an easy supper. A frittata is always quick and easy as long as the ingredients don’t require a lot of prep. With a box of frozen spinach in the freezer, a 5-lb bag of potatoes in my pantry and a half a package of ham in the fridge, I managed to pull this dinner together in about 30 minutes.
I love a quiche, but a frittata takes a lot less cooking time so I opted for that route.
I sliced a few potatoes up thin so they wouldn’t take so long to cook, and I also sliced up a red onion. I sautéed the potato and onion in olive oil over low heat for about 15 minutes while I chopped up the ham and defrosted the spinach.
It’s important to squeeze the spinach dry so it doesn’t make the frittata soggy.
Then I whisked eggs and cheese together, added the spinach and ham and poured it over the onions and potatoes in the skillet. I love my Lodge cast iron skillets. They’re inexpensive and perfect for going from stovetop to oven.
While the frittata cooked, I mixed up a simple side salad and set the table.
Voilà! Dinner in less than 30 minutes!
- 1 large or 2 small potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced thin
- 8-10 eggs
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or parmesan
- 3-4 slices deli ham, cut into small squares
- olive oil, salt and pepper
- Heat a few tablespoons olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Place the sliced onions and potatoes in the pan, sprinkle with salt, reduce heat to med-low and sauté until soft and beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the spinach, ham and cheese.
- When the potatoes and onions are ready, pour the egg mixture into the pan.
- Cook in preheated 375-degree oven for 15 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with a side salad.